Monday, April 4, 2011

Comics and Sequential Art by Picasso

I've found these in various websites through the years, I figured I'd post them on my blog for everyone to check out. Picasso has always had a bit of cartooning in his work, but most people don't know that he actually did cartooning and sequential art. I once read that he had early ambitions of becoming a cartoonist but I haven't found any direct quotes about it. You won't see these drawings in your college art history book, but I can picture these running in an alternative comic anthology along with Chris Ware and Robert Crumb. This isn't something I've researched, just a point of interest and a bit of inspiration. If anyone has any additional info or better scans, I'd love to have it.

Two of the images are repeated, but one is a little sharper, and the other seems to show more of the natural color, so I've included both scans.

Click each image to enlarge.

No comments: